tips & tricks
I have recently started development for a small video conversion project using a GUI. After some research I decided to use Tkinter/Tix (Tk/Tix). The reasons are mainly:
- the GUI is rather simple, and
- the end-user is not necessarily technically inclined so I
want to keep
a) required libraries as few as possible, and
b) installation as painless as possible.
- Tk/Tix is included with Python. Thus only a Python installation is needed. Nothing else.
- Tk itsself misses some rudimentary widgets like meters, multi/colum lists, grid and scrolled widgets. Tix provides those. Good enough for my little application (more advanced and more modern widgets are available in frameworks like Qt, Gtk, or wxWindows).
- relevant documentation,
- GUI Builders which might help me,
- answers to non-obvious questions.